Monday, May 8, 2023

Youth Campout

Rockwell and I got to go on a Youth Campout with our ward last weekend. We camped in Green River Friday night. When we got there, we set up our tents, had some dinner, and then did the Lip Sync Battle and had a devotional from the bishopric. The Lip Sync Battle is a huge deal in our ward!! Rockwell had told me that the Deacons quorum were doing Peaches from the new Mario movie, but he didn't tell me that he was going to wear a whole Luigi costume. :) I was so surprised to look over and see him like that. Haha!
Their song was a fan favorite for sure! Everyone enjoyed that one. Here they are listening to the reviews of the judges.
After the judges deliberated for a while, they announced the Deacons came in 2nd and our Young Women's class came in 1st for the second year in a row!! They chose Cruisin' for a Bruisin', and it really was so cute and well done! 
They were so excited to get that trophy again!
The next morning we had some breakfast and packed up all our stuff. The kids had fun skipping rocks in the river when they had any down time.
We drove to Goblin Valley and spent the morning there. It was such a cool place, and perfect for a huge group of youth.
There aren't trails, you can just explore and climb on everything. Everyone immediately started climbing on the goblins!
And jumping from goblin to goblin apparently. :)
Elena's mom had let us know that her depth perception is about 70% what most people have. This causes some safety concerns around edges and cliffs. She ran to the goblins and tried to climb them, but I could see she was pretty unsteady and having a hard time knowing where to step. Angela and I stuck real close to her and tried to help her find some she could climb safely. 
I think it was a little frustrating for her to see all the other kids climbing everything and jumping and scaling edges of the rocks. 
Angela and I just stuck with her and we headed over to "the gray rock" that we were supposed to end up at. Nobody came for quite a while and so I headed up to the top of the gray rock to see if I could see where the group was. I couldn't see anyone, but I sure saw some gorgeous views up there!
Turns out there was a different gray rock that everyone went to. Whoops! We headed over to see if we could catch up, and luckily we ran into Mike, Brother Lawrence, and Jared Searle. They took us to a cave that everyone had already gone through.
You could climb to the back of the cave, and then up and out of a hole at the top of the cave. Mike said it was real tricky and then it was dicey to get back down on the backside of the mountain, so we just looked at the front of the cave and headed back out. Elena was having some trouble climbing down, so Mike jumped right in and had her step on his back to get down. :) It was a little sad to miss out on the cave and seeing Rockwell and the rest of the girls enjoying Goblin Valley, but Angela and I agreed that it all worked out for the best that we stuck together and did a different route with Elena. 
We ate lunch on some picnic tables, and then drove to Little Horse Slot Canyon. This was so so cool!!
We hiked about 3 miles in and then 3 miles out. It was beautiful and so cool to hike through the slot areas!!
Afton and I thought it was really fun to climb the walls. :)
We stopped to rest for a bit and took some pictures. I stayed with Elena again, so I hardly saw Rockwell the whole time. It was fun to see him when we stopped here. He had such a blast!! He loved everything about this whole trip.
Kyle had dinner bagged up for us to eat in our cars on the way home. It was a really long drive home. Talia and I really thought the girls would be exhausted and want to sleep on the way home, but they were not. :) They were so loud and crazy the whole time. Talia and I were very excited when we got back to the church and out of the car. :)
When quiet time was over on Sunday, Rockwell didn't come out of his room. I went and checked on him after a while and found him napping. He wore himself out having so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys had a good time. I love the picture of you and Rockwell. All of those pictures are amazing, that makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete