Sunday, September 6, 2020

School Week 3

 During the new teacher meetings before school began this year, Timpanogos had a "signing day" table set up for pictures. They do these when athletes are signing with a college. Paul is so happy to be back at Timpanogos!


Tessa and Tatum aren't in the same class this year, but they ask to play together all the time still. He came home with us this week, and they loved making Mac & Cheese for their snack.

I got a call from the school Monday morning. Damon was crying and saying his stomach hurt, and so the secretary called me. I knew he wasn't sick, just having a hard time, so I went over to calm him down and get him back to class. I talked to him about how it's okay that he doesn't know everything yet, and that he needs to be patient and raise his hand to get help from his teacher like Paul and I have been talking to him about. We went back to class, and Mrs Anderson asked if I could stay the rest of the day to help him feel more comfortable. She then asked if I could come every day the rest of the week, which was a little alarming. During the next two hours of helping in the classroom, I realized that Damon does just fine when he knows what he is supposed to be doing (even when he doesn't know how to do it perfectly yet), but gets very frustrated when he isn't given instructions on what to do. From what we were able to understand just from Damon telling us what was hard at school, we thought it was perfectionism that was frustrating him. I quickly realized that the frustration for him is that he isn't given directions clearly at all, isn't given help when he needs it, and most the time all the kids in class don't have any idea what they're supposed to be doing. I agreed to come in the rest of the week so that I could observe if that was an extra crazy day, or if that is the norm. It turns out that is the norm, and there are some very concerning things happening from his teacher. She is the nicest lady, but does not have a handle on classroom procedures, checking for understanding, or what can be expected of 5-year-olds.
I spent the whole week in the classroom, and really tried to explain to Mrs Anderson that Damon's crying happens when it's chaotic and unclear what is expected. I gave some concrete examples of how she can calm things down for the whole class, and luckily she was receptive to the suggestions. I emailed and met with the principal, who was so grateful that I was able to let him know what is happening, and what is needed for these kids. I emailed him on Wednesday, he got right to work getting her the training she is going to need, and by Friday I could already see some great improvements. I think she can get her classroom and teaching under control, and I'm so grateful to Mr LaBare and the other staff who are helping her. I have enjoyed getting to know the kids in Damon's class, they are so cute! And I'm so glad I am in a situation as a stay-at-home-mom where I could be in the school and really help Damon and the kids in his class get what they need and deserve at school.
I have come up with a few things to do with Damon at home now that I have seen what's happening at school. I worry about how little teaching each of the children are getting on their own level, and so we're working hard at home. On Friday, he read the very first Sam Book on his own. We are so stinking proud of him for this accomplishment!! I loved loved loved to see how proud he was of himself too.

Friday night, we went to Grandma and Gramps' house for the Labor Day Campout. This is one of the favorite nights of the year for our kids. They absolutely love it! They all got right to playing with their cousins, and didn't stop until we made them at midnight. :)
We roasted hot dogs and hamburgers on their new smokeless fire pit for dinner. The smokeless fire was amazing!
We all enjoyed sitting around it while the kids played night games.
I got an early birthday present from Brent. He knows me well. :)
Rockwell and Hayden climbed every tree in the yard.
The 4 littles brought bikes out and rode around with lanterns hanging on them.
We finally made the kids get in the tent and go to sleep at midnight. Breakfast was delicious as always the next morning, and then the kids were right back at all the playing.
Kristene saw a Friends shirt at a store and had to get it for Carrie since she loves the show so much. Carrie took that as a clear sign that she's the favorite child. :) Haha!
Grandma played a game with the kids before we left. You're not supposed to laugh during it, and that was the hardest part for them all. :)
We stopped by Carrie's house on the way home. Paul wanted to buy some vegetables from McKay. We all loved seeing their animals and all the fun things they have built in their yard.
And then of course the kids fell asleep on the way home. They are always so exhausted after that much fun! 

2 comments:

  1. That picture of Damon when he was so proud of himself for reading the book is priceless! I'm so grateful that you were in a position to keep going to the classroom the rest of the week and could see the problems and then that the teacher was open to your suggestions is huge as well as the principal being on board and getting her the training she needs. Wow! Great job Tiffany! Your night at Brent's and Christine's looked like so much fun and I'm glad you got a big box of Peanut Butter cups. Very cool! I'm sure it's good the children slept on the way home after all that fun! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition! Way to go Damon. I can't believe he is reading, he is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete