Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Arete Gymnastics Meet

Arete hosted the gymnastics meet last weekend.

They rented the gym at Telos U to be able to fit everyone. It takes a whole lot to run a meet! They needed a lot of parent volunteers. I spent 4 hours Thursday afternoon unloading all the equipment from a semi truck and setting everything up. It was quite a workout, but I enjoyed it. I learned how to put together the uneven bars and vaults from parts. That was actually really satisfying. :) Then I worked concessions for 4 hours on Friday while the kids were at school. And then I worked another 4 hours Saturday night taking down all the equipment and loading it back into the semi. I got home just before midnight. It was a lot of time and effort, but I was happy to help make the meet happen. It was fun to get to know the coaches a little better, and visit with everyone while we worked. 

Level 3 had their meet Friday night. This was Tessa's most solid meet. 
She earned her highest all-around score yet, and the most exciting thing of the night was Tessa stuck her cartwheel on the beam!!!!!!!! I wanted to scream when she landed it!! I was there by myself since Paul was in New York with his family and the boys chose to stay home, so I sat there by myself screaming inside my head. :) 
Here she goes...
And she sticks it!!!!!
While we were doing Tessa's hair, we talked about what we had learned from watching the BYU gymnastics meet. Every gymnast took a moment to pause before doing their tumble skills on the beam. Tessa set a goal to pause, take a deep breath, and tell herself that she can do it before she started her cartwheel. I think this really helped her!
Tess took 2nd on vault.
4th on bars.
2nd on beam.
2nd on floor.
And 2nd all-around!
We definitely needed to celebrate with some ice cream afterward. :)
We're so proud of all the hard work you put into gymnastics Tessa! There have been a lot of meets lately, and you continue to do your best at each one. Nice work girl!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Tessa! I'm sorry I didn't come to that meet but I think I forgot about it cause I know you told us! So sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for Tessa that she landed her cartwheel, that is amazing. You worked hard for that meet, good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Tessa stuck her cartwheel! What an amazing amount of work for both of you!

    ReplyDelete