Thursday, May 12, 2016

Damon's 1st Birthday

I am really having a hard time believing Damon is already one year old. It does not feel like it's been a whole year since he was a brand new baby, with wires and cords attached everywhere on his tiny little body. I still love thinking about how he pulled the oxygen tube out of his nose when he was ready to breathe on his own. The nurses had tried removing the oxygen a couple times, but his lungs weren't ready to do it on their own yet. But Damon knew when he was ready, and pulled them out of his nose with his tiny newborn hands and has been strong and healthy since. 
I'm so glad Damon still gives so many snuggles at this age. It helps with the sadness that can come with your last baby growing up. He is so fun to be around, with all his smiles and laughter. 
I tried to make today as pleasant as I could for Damon. I didn't run any errands, so he could play instead of being towed around all afternoon. Al and Hallee came over for a while, and that was quite a gift for Damon. Rockwell and Tessa played with Hallee, and Damon got to play with whatever he wanted to for a solid hour without anyone taking his toys from him or randomly picking him up and moving him. I could tell he loved that. :) Al also helped take these pictures of Damon. I love how they turned out. 
He really has not been interested in opening presents, so Tessa and Rockwell were very happy to help him with that. Rockwell wrapped up one of his blankets from when he was a baby to give to Damon. It was a big hit. Damon absolutely loves blankets and towels. He cuddled right up with his blanket for a while, and then played peek-a-boo with it. 
He liked the elephant ball game Paul and I gave him. He loves to put things inside other things, so he had fun learning to put the balls in the elephant's trunk.
He liked eating his pumpkin muffin. 
  
Damon has been a dream baby from day one. He sleeps like a champ. He eats anything I give him, and is so clean while he eats. He's never tried to take the spoon from me or anything. He's quite determined to learn to walk right now. He can stand up from the ground on his own and take about 5 steps. He practices over and over all day, and loves it when we clap and cheer for him. When he learned how to use his new elephant toy tonight, he clapped for himself and smiled at all of us until we joined in his applause. :) He is a seriously special boy. He wins over the hearts of everyone he meets. Damon is good for the soul.
  
  
  
   
  
  

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I was so excited to see the pictures of him, especially curling up in and playing peek-a-boo with the blanket! What a special, adorable boy he is! I sure love him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love that nine month picture with his hair combed down. He is such a special, calming, adorable boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the monthly pictures! You did a great job describing Damon! He is so special and has brought me so much peace and happiness over the past year (it sounds cheesy, but it's true). Every one could use a daily dose of Damon!

    ReplyDelete