Monday, July 17, 2023

Girls Camp

 Girls Camp was so much work to get ready for, and I seriously wondered if it was all worth it in the days leading up to camp. But after going, I'm sure glad I did. I think all the girls had a good experience, and I really enjoyed getting to know the girls and the other leaders better. We left bright and early Monday morning and started getting the camp set up. That was a lot of work and luckily there were some men up there to help whoever needed it. We used their help to get the carports for the kitchen set up while the girls set up their tents. We were all so grateful to have the help!

As soon as we were finished setting up it was our turn on the rock climbing wall. Jolene and I had gone up to camp on Saturday to get trained on belaying, so we were ready to help the girls climb.
Every girl made it to the top of at least one wall and rang the bell. I think they had a great time and were proud of themselves. I got to climb once too before we left. :)
The girls thought the rope swing was really fun too. Only a couple ended up with wet feet. :)
We had a Stake Lake Party that afternoon. It was fun to sit in the shade and visit, and also to play 9-Square for a while.
The whole day was packed with activities and we were all exhausted by Lights Out that night.
Aspen Lakes Campground is beautiful and I liked watching the sun rise over one of the lakes each morning.
The theme this year was I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me - Philippians 4:13. We studied the names of Christ in the months leading up to camp and the stake put on a cool activity Tuesday morning about Christ's mission and His atonement and resurrection for us. We had all painted a rock with our favorite name of Christ, and we left our rocks in piles around the pavilion. 
That afternoon we did a hike, which we based off Sister Camille Johnson's talk, Jesus Christ is Relief. Maren asked me to be in charge of this activity, and it was a pretty big undertaking, so I was so glad that it turned out as well as it did. Sister Johnson talks about a metaphorical backpack that we all wear, and the three types of rocks that we have in our backpacks. The rocks represent burdens caused by our choices, other people's choices, and by living in a mortal world. Before camp I collected enough rocks for each girl to carry 3 on the hike. They were given a rock to start with, representing the burdens of living in a mortal world. Then we set out to the trail.
Angela, Sarah, and Wendy were waiting on the trail a little ways up with another rock to give the girls, representing the burdens we bear because of other people's choices. There were a couple things that came up last minute, and so they weren't ready for us when we got there. I noticed that they were still unloading the rocks from their car, and so I started walking around in snaking patterns and jumping on big rocks as I passed them. The girls followed behind me in a single-file line without me even saying anything and it turned out to be a great way to stall. They thought an impromptu game of follow the leader was pretty fun.
Further along the trail there were painted rocks on the ground, representing our own poor choices that weigh us down. I had told the girls that there would be enticing/pretty rocks somewhere along the way and that everyone needed to pick up at least one and add it to their backpack.
A lot of the girls were not excited about the hike, and carrying the extra weight was kinda hard for some of them. I brought some bubble wands along and gave them to the YCLs so they could help with the morale along the way. Luckily there were only a couple girls in the very back that complained once we were actually on the hike. The rest of us actually had a really fun time!
We made it to the top, had some snacks, and headed back down.
It was a very beautiful hike. Jolene and I had hiked it earlier that morning just to scope things out, and really enjoyed the views.
When we got back to camp we had a devotional explaining what all the rocks meant and how the weight of our burdens can be made light through Jesus Christ. The girls set their rocks below a picture of Christ and then had some alone time to ponder and reflect on the burdens in their life and how we can find relief from them by drawing near to our Savior. I think it turned out really well, and I was also so relieved when it was over. 
I went home with Wendy that night. She took Sarah home each night and drove her back up each morning, and so a couple of us took a turn riding home with her so there were two leaders in the car. It was so nice to go home and shower!! I didn't get much sleep and didn't get to see the family at all with how late we got home and how early we left in the morning, but it was all worth it for the shower! :)
The next morning we had lake time with just our ward. With the responsibilities of the hike behind me, I was able to relax and really enjoy the rest of camp.
Meg, Afton, and Elizabeth were the only ones to tip their canoe, and luckily it was right by the shore. :)
I love love loved seeing Jade try new things all week! She has never been camping, hiking, canoeing, etc. It was fun to see her experience so many new things.
Lori, Maren and I took the girls who wanted to over to the team building course. They had a lot of fun there.
A few of us painted our nails. We got a kick out of Hannah being pampered by Afton painting her nails and Meg feeding her pretzels. :)
Angela made so much great food for us all week!
It was so fun to get to visit with so many people that I didn't really know well before camp. I learned Belle loves the sun! The rest of us would all squeeze in whatever shade we could find, while Belle chose the sun every time.
All of us leaders were concerned about how the skit was going to go. Haha. It didn't really come together until right before we went to the amphitheater, but the girls really pulled it off. And they won the award for the best use of the mystery prop. Flat Easton was a big hit with all the girls!! :)
Ashlee, Talia and I were laughing so hard when Talia realized she looked just like Trunchbowl from Matilda. I asked her to please swing one of the girls around by their braids. Haha!
Luckily Liv had braids in and so we tried to make it look like she was swinging her around. :) It was seriously so funny!
The Bishopric and their wives came up for dinner and testimony meeting Wednesday night. We played some games after dinner and all the girls thought it was really fun to stump Bishop Searle and Brother Taylor in Smurf.
We cleaned up camp Thursday morning and then drove to Big Springs Park. Jolene and her husband, along with Bishop and Brother Taylor, took the girls mountain biking. Some enjoyed biking and some did not. :)
I enjoyed it!
I'm glad I went to girls camp, and I'm glad it's over. Haha. I really did enjoy being there, but I'm sure glad the stress and extra time prepping for it are behind me now.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this post so much. Camp is so much work for the leaders, but it is priceless for the girls and bonding with them. Your activity looked so cool. Way to go Tiff. The whole camp looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete